Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Mom, My Inspiration


My passion for living a healthy and fit lifestyle is something that my mom passed down to me.  When I was younger, she was a bodybuilder.  Back in the day, bodybuilding was the only division women could compete in and the look of female bodybuilders was dependent on their weight class.  When she competed, she looked like a present day figure competitor.  My mom managed to maintain a a feminine physique while looking like she could kick your ass.  Let's be honest, even though she's in her 40s, she's a tough Brooklyn chick who could still kick your ass.

I loved going to shows with her.  I was always amazed by the huge men sitting backstage eating jugs of peanut butter!  My mom has always been a positive role model in my life and I aspired to be like her.  When I decided to start competing in August 2011, I did not tell my mom.  I was working full time and entering my last semester of school.  I knew she would think I was taking too much on.  Honestly, there are times when I feel overwhelmed and burnt out but those are the times when I find the courage to persevere because I come from a family of fighters in the metamorphic and literal sense.  My mom once fought in the Golden Gloves.  See, I wasn't kidding about her kicking your ass ;)

When I am feeling stressed or overworked, I think about my mom.  She is the definition of resilience whose work ethic is unparalleled.  She has a "when shit gets tough, you get tougher" attitude that I admire and try to emulate.  My mom is my go to person when I need a little push.  Though, her pushes are more like shoves ;) Do you have someone in your life who pushes you to work a little harder?  Who has motivated you to become a better person?


No comments:

Post a Comment